Many of us are now reliant on the internet to access information, services, shop for goods and maintain contact with family and friends. The choice and availability of products and services that enable us to constantly communicate and access information, even while on the move, is growing all the time. Internet and mobile technologies have transformed how we communicate and choose to live.
Unfortunately, accessibility has not always been at the centre of the digital revolution and people with a combined sight and hearing loss have not had the same opportunities as others. The high cost of specialist adaptive technologies, the lack of quality information and advice on products available plus a lack of appropriate training opportunities have contributed to excluding many from the digital revolution.
Deafblind UK recognises that without targeted support and training for people who are deafblind or have combined sight and hearing loss, the exclusion and isolation of these people will increase.
Our Digital Inclusion service seeks to maximise the opportunities for Deafblind UK members to get online and benefit from the range of services, information and media available. Our key objectives are as follows:
- Through our peer and support groups, provide members with opportunities to test drive a range of “off the peg” technologies, such as tablets, smart phones and i-readers, supported and assisted by a trained project worker
- Identify ICT champion volunteers to provide regular support and guidance enabling people with a dual sensory loss to develop their IT skills and experiences
- Offer advice and support to people with a combined sight and hearing loss on the range of adaptive equipment and technologies available to them, plus support them in trialling adaptive software to ensure it meets their needs prior to purchase
- Promote to deafblind people and those with a combined sight and hearing loss the benefits of technology and raise awareness of new products and equipment coming to market which may be of interest
- Work with the technology industry and in particular web developers to promote adaptive and inclusive developments in both hardware and software
For more information, please contact us on 01733 358100.