Peer Support & Social Groups
What is a Peer Support & Social Group?
Our popular Peer Support & Social Groups provide those with both sight and hearing impairments plus their carers an opportunity to meet people and make friends. At regular meetings, all members are encouraged to get involved in the decision making process to determine what activities the group should do, often including social outings and arranging meetings for guests to speak on subjects of interest.
Who can attend a Peer Support & Social Group?
Our groups are open to anyone with a combined hearing and sight loss. Generally group members are either partially sighted or blind AND hard of hearing or deaf. Group members can bring a companion to our group meetings and events, assistance dogs and support workers are welcome too.
Benefits of attending a Peer Support & Social Group
- Have fun, meet new people and make new friends
- Give and receive extra support though sharing information and experiences with other group members
- Find out more about your local community and how you can access its services and activities
- Find out more about deafblindness and support available to help you enjoy a good quality of life
- Develop strategies to cope with the daily challenges of living with deafblindness and enjoy independence
Volunteering to support the Peer Support & Social Groups
Volunteering to support the Peer Support & Social Groups is an enjoyable and worthwhile way to spend a couple of hours. If you want to get more involved with coordinating and helping to organise speakers and activities or doing simple administration we would love to hear from you.
Drivers are also required for those members who want to come to the group but find it difficult to travel independently.
Where and when are the Peer Support & Social Groups?
We have many groups across the UK. Please contact us to find out about the groups in your area and how to join your local Peer Support & Social Group.
For more information on this service, please contact the team.
A big thank you to all the supporters who fund our peer support groups, find out more here.