What can be an assessment outcome?

Following on from a specialist deafblind assessment the journey continues forward. There are various stages that occur, from the local authority determining if your needs from the assessment are eligible, through to care planning, a financial assessment, and other stages until you either receive the assessment outcomes or they can be actioned.

The exception to these further processes is if any urgent or preventative needs have been identified which the local authority has the can meet these immediately. Where such needs are met, this can temporarily halt the assessment to outcomes process so the impact of the intervention can be determined and included within the assessment.

Once the process is completed, your needs will be classified as eligible or non-eligible outcomes.

Eligible outcomes

An eligible care and support need is one which the local authority has determined meets the national eligibility criteria and they are obligated to meet that need with an eligible outcome.

Some eligible outcomes could include:

  • Human support: As 1:1 specialist human support, a deafblind support worker or communicator-guide.
  • Direct payments: A personal budget that you can spend on anything that is legal and meets your care needs.
  • Care and support arranged by the council where this is either appropriate due to your deafblindness or where you prefer to not receive direct payments for some or all of your needs.
  • Short term intervention / preventative services such as a rehabilitation officer for the visually impaired for daily living skills ie in the kitchen and / or long mobility cane training.
  • Equipment: Specific items of equipment that can you’re your needs, such as loop systems, alerting devices, liquid level indicators.

Whilst your needs may have been determined as eligible, it is possible that you may need to pay a contribution towards the full cost of meeting these care and support needs. The local authority has to assess your financial situation and will determine if you will need to contribute to these financial costs. Interventions that are shorter term preventative measures the local authority can chose to not charge, as the measures delay and prevent further costs – rehabilitation officers for the visually impaired would be a preventative intervention. If your financial assessment exceeds the nationally set income and saving limits you will be considered as a self funder, the needs will be eligible but not funded for you – suitable advice and information must be provided to you.

Non-eligible outcomes

A non-eligible care and support need is one which the local authority has determined does not meets the national eligibility criteria and they are not obligated to meet that need but the need is still present. In this case as part of their information and advice duty the local authority could refer you to, support access to, or signpost you to services in the community that could help meet your needs.

Some examples of these outcomes could be:

  • Befriending services. Where isolation or limited social interaction has been identified as a need, then befriending services can be an appropriate outcome. This could be a local service or a specialist service. (link dbuk befriending page)
  • Information and advice: This could be a generic outcome as well is a duty irrespective of any eligibility or current needs, it has a preventative element. This must be provided in your preferred format including if needed face to face with an qualified interpreter. This could include maximising benefit income, applying for a Blue Badge, local housing services, grant providers and so forth.
  • Peer advocacy: Support from within your community to be able to express your desires and wishes, helping to breakdown barriers for example to ensure your rights under the Accessible Information Standard are met.
  • Respite holidays, information on specialist holiday providers and services, if a break is needed.
  • Social groups, local opportunities to interact with new peers, some as purely coffee groups through to lunch meetings.
  • Registration with services to improve home and community safety, such as Emergency SMS services, utilities provider priority registers, local non-emergency police services and free BT Directory Enquiries.
  • Signposting, to local or national schemes, charities or services that can help meeting your needs.

As non-eligible needs are not funded by the local authority, any outcomes with costs associated will be self funded only.

Learn more about benefits and entitlements here