Note: The following examples assume Android version 6.0 or above. Screenshots may vary slightly to your screen display.
Activating the Screen Reading features for visually impaired users on Android
When TalkBack is turned on, the device will provide spoken feedback to help visually impaired users. This describes what you touch, select and activate.
- Use the Accessibility settings to turn on ‘TalkBack’. Go to Settings > Accessibility > TalkBack (under the heading ‘Screen readers’).
- Toggle on ‘TalkBack’.
- Select to Speak.
In addition to ‘TalkBack’, Android users can instead choose to use ‘Select to Speak’. With this the device will read aloud specific items on the screen when you tap them.
- Use the Accessibility settings to turn on ‘Select to Speak’. Go to Settings > Accessibility > Select to Speak (under the heading ‘Screen readers’)
- Toggle on ‘Select to Speak’
To use Select to Speak, you can:
- Tap a specific item, like text or an image.
- Drag your finger across the screen to select multiple items.
- Tap the play button to hear everything.