What is a charity shop volunteer?
As a charity shop volunteer, you will help to run our charity shop, with the primary focus to maximise income through the display and sale of donated items.
- Customer service – we like to ensure that our customers are supported and cared for. You may need to help people who bring in things for us to sell, and help them to sign up for gift aid.
- Cash handling – if appropriate, you might work on the cash desk, processing sales, handling cash, advising customers and dealing with queries.
- Visual merchandising – our volunteers help us to make sure the shop floor is appropriately stocked, that items on sale are appropriately accessible and displays are eye catching and attractive.
- Stock handling – you will help with processing the stock, categorising, sorting, pricing and cleaning donations ready for sale.
What times do I need to commit to?
This role requires regular weekly commitment at our charity shop and you will need to be available to attend shop meetings.
How much commitment do I need to give?
We would like you to commit to a weekly work pattern and, ideally, to be available for meetings outside these times.
Am I suitable?
This role will suit people who...
- Are patient and friendly
- Are keen to make a difference in the local community
- Can work as part of a team
- Are aware of trading standards laws and abide by them
- Are aware of and comply with all relative health and safety legislation
How will I benefit?
- This is an opportunity to meet like-minded people in your community
- You will be part of a friendly, supportive and dedicated team
- You will know you will be making a difference to real people’s lives
- New communications skills
- Establishing positive employability skills to help you in your career path
What support will I get?
We ensure that all volunteers who join our team are well equipped to undertake any tasks and will provide training and supervision throughout your journey with us. Any specific training will be outlined at the induction stage and then discussed at your reviews with your Deafblind UK named contact.
This role is purely voluntary, and this arrangement is not legally binding or an employment contract.