Our team is what makes us who we are
Working for Deafblind UK means making a real difference to John in Merseyside, Sheila in Birmingham, Tony in Wrexham and thousands of others. It is a supportive, engaging and rewarding place to be; we work hard and we play hard, we learn and we grow.
Benefits and rewards
We think our staff are great! So, in addition to a competitive salary, our staff benefit from the following:
- Competitive annual leave allowance - which increases with length of service
- Opportunity to take part in bespoke training & gain qualifications relevant to your role
- Excellent comprehensive induction including:
- Deafblind Manual Training
- Deafblind Communicating & Guiding
- DBS Enhanced Check fully paid for by Deafblind UK
- Flexible working arrangements where possible (part-time hours etc) and parental leave available
- Inclusion in our pension scheme
- Care Certificate training (for all Communication Support Worker roles)
- Free eye tests and contribution towards glasses for VDU users
- Discounts at major restaurants, hotels, shops and cinemas and other fabulous benefits from the Perkbox employee benefits scheme
- …. And most importantly a fabulous supportive network of colleagues that will be there throughout your journey with Deafblind UK
Learning and development
We know that your career is important and we will support you to expand your knowledge in any way we can. Where relevant, we will support employees to achieve nationally accredited qualifications. As a new starter, you will be invited to take part in a corporate induction held at our head office, which includes deafblind communication and guiding. In addition to this all staff receive one to one training through various learning and development opportunities.
Here’s what our employees had to say about their induction:
“I really enjoyed my induction, the sessions were interactive and fun. I got a real insight into the lives of the people we support.”
Equality and diversity
As a disability organisation specialising in sensory loss, we are committed to valuing people as individuals and ensuring equality of opportunity and fairness for both customers and employees.
We recognise that people from many different backgrounds can bring fresh ideas and a different approach which can make the way the organisation works more efficient, creative and innovative.
We treat all people with dignity and respect and are committed to championing diversity, eliminating discrimination and promoting fairness.
We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sections of the community. We have been awarded the Disability Confident symbol which demonstrates our positive attitude towards job applications from people with a disability.
Supporting employees who have a disability
Many of our employees use Access to Work funding (through Job Centre Plus) to support them in their role. Access to Work funding can provide a wide range of support to those who require it. We work very closely with our staff to ensure they get the right support to successfully carry out their job. If you are applying for a role with us, you just need to tell us that you may require or already use ‘Access to Work’.
Safeguarding and employment checks
Ensuring the safety of our customers is of paramount importance and so we carry out thorough checks on all our staff. All employment at Deafblind UK is offered subject to satisfactory checks including previous employer references. Staff who have direct contact with our customers will be required to have an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Check (if applicable).