Our Helpline Volunteers answer incoming calls, texts, emails and other forms of contact to our helpline, providing information and support to the people who contact us.
As a Helpline Volunteer your main role will be taking incoming calls on the Helpline. This will involve:
- Dealing with basic incoming contact and referring more complex issues to the Membership Services Officer
- Accurately recording information on our database
- Sending out information to our members, their family, friends and professionals
- Helping to keep our information library up to date
- Researching new information to support people with a sight and hearing loss.
How much commitment do I need to give?
This role requires a regular weekly commitment of about 3 to 4 hours a week, between the hours of 9.00 to 5.00 Monday to Thursday and 9.00 to 4.00 on a Friday. We might ask you to attend the occasional meetings or training sessions.
Am I suitable?
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Are confident on the telephone
- Are able to communicate via SMS and email
- Can show empathy and understanding
- Are self motivated with the ability to work on own initiative
- Have basic admin and good IT skills
- Are open minded and non-judgemental
- Are patient and willing to listen to people who may be going through a difficult time
- Are aged 18 or over
- Are based in the UK
- Have access to the internet and a device to complete Deafblind UK online volunteer training. This will take approximately 2-3 hours.
- Are to commit to the role for at least three months
How will I benefit?
By volunteering with us, you will:
- Learn about deafblindness and the support available to people
- The satisfaction of knowing you will be making a difference to real people’s lives
- Be part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Something to add to your CV
- A sense of purpose
- Increase your confidence
- A chance to develop as a person
- Learn new skills
What support will I get?
We ensure all volunteers who join our team are well equipped to undertake any tasks and will provide training and supervision throughout your journey with us. Any specific training will be outlined within your onboarding and induction stages and then discussed at your reviews with your named lead contact.