Could you be entitled to more support?

If sight and hearing loss affects your mobility, communication or ability to access information then you are entitled to a specialist deafblind assessment. This is an assessment by your Local Authority to determine whether you would benefit from any additional support. It can be a lengthy process but, in our experience, the results can be life changing for you, your family and your carers.

The assessment will be carried out by someone who is experienced and qualified in working with people who are deafblind. They will look at how your condition affects certain aspects of your life, including access to food, shopping, and local services.

To start the process, contact your Local Authority’s Adult Social Care team and ask for a deafblind assessment, under the Care Act 2014. In our experience, it might take a few attempts before you get through to the right person but keep trying!

During the assessment, there will be a conversation between you and your assessor in your preferred method of communication/language.

Communication support can also be available if needed, and you will always be consulted beforehand. If you feel overwhelmed, fatigued, or confused at any time, it is important that you let your assessor know.

The assessor will determine whether you would benefit from any additional practical or emotional support, advice or assistive aids such as a flashing doorbell or a flashing fire alarm. They will then take you through a further process to determine what support is available and whether you are eligible for financial support to pay for it.

We recommend that everyone who is eligible has a deafblind assessment. Perhaps you don’t realise what support you are entitled to or what support is available. But, be it financial or practical, it can make a huge difference.