Our social groups are the ideal opportunity to get out and about and have fun with friends. Groups are open to anyone with a combined hearing and sight loss, their family, carers, support workers and of course guide dogs.
Our social groups enable you to:
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Give and receive extra support though sharing information and experiences with other group members
- Find out more about your local community and how you can access its services and activities
- Find out more about sight and hearing loss and discover what support is available to help you enjoy a good quality of life
- Learn from others to develop strategies to enjoy your independence
What happens at a Deafblind UK social group?
This varies from group to group but we like to encourage group members to decide what they want to happen at each meeting. For example, some groups enjoy outings to local garden centres or the seaside while others enjoy fishing trips, photography lessons or flower arranging!
Our social groups are also a great way to learn and gather information from experts. Not only will you have the chance to talk to Deafblind UK staff and volunteers but we often arrange talks from third party organisations about topical issues, such as benefits, hate crime, fire safety etc.
Either way, there is always plenty of time to chat to others and catch up with friends over a cup of tea!
"When someone told me about the Deafblind UK group I was there in a shot! I went along to the first group and thought “this is where I belong” – it felt like a big family full of other people just like me.” Click here to read Kathaleen's story.
Volunteering to support our social groups
Many of our social groups are supported or run by volunteers who find it is enjoyable and worthwhile way to spend a couple of hours. We are also grateful to our volunteer drivers who transport those who want to come to the group but find it difficult to travel independently. If you are interested in volunteering with your local Deafblind UK social group, please contact us.